If you’re anything like the typical Aussie, odds are that you love the idea of a hot summer’s day. While we love basking in the sun, enjoying our beautiful beaches and getting stuck in to an irresistible barbeque, the Cancer Council of Australia has recently reminded us to take care of our skin and wellbeing at the same time too.
Australia has one of the highest incidences of skin cancer in the world. According to Cancer Council, skin cancers account for around 80% of all newly diagnosed cancers, and two in three Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer by the time they are 70.
If that surprises you as much as it does us, read these tips below to help you and your family’s skin survive the heat this summer:
- Develop a sunscreen habit: We clean our teeth each day so make putting on sunscreen another healthy regular habit. If you go in the sun, slop on that sunscreen.
- Be sunscreen smart – Don’t fall into the trap of forgetting to reapply. Cancer Council Australia recommends vigilant reapplication every two hours for the best protection.
- Pick your outdoor times – 10 am and 3 pm are when the UV levels are at their most intense. If you are outside during these times make sure there are shady areas to retreat to (or bring your own shade!)
- Slap on a hat – Keep a hat in the car and in a place that is easily accessible so you always have it as an option.
- Wear sun protective clothing – If you’re hitting the beach this summer, make sure you’re adequately covered too. For great sunsafe ideas, visit the cancer councils website – http://www.cancer.org.au/preventing-cancer/sun-protection
Phoenix Health Fund has a range of Hospital and Extras products to help assist you and your families skin health this summer too. From preventative services like mole mapping to hospital treatment for more serious cases, Phoenix Health Fund has plenty of value to offer to all. To visit our range of products, click here.