This brownie recipe is a great way to get some extra veggies into your day and has the added benefit of being refined sugar and dairy free. Perfect to be enjoyed warm on a cooler evening or a healthy addition to lunchboxes for school and work.
Makes: 16 brownies
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 30g (1/4 cup) raw cacao powder
- 1 cup grated raw beetroot, skin on
- 3 large eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) of coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped (or a pink of vanilla powder or a dash of vanilla extract)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 23 x 23 cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the almond meal and cacao powder in a large bowl and mix together, then add all the other ingredients and mix until they form a batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then cut into pieces.
Serving suggestion: As these brownies are dairy free, if serving warm try coconut yoghurt as a dairy free option instead of whipped cream or ice cream.
Source: The Happy Cookbook by Lola Berry