Phoenix Health Fund’s Gold Top Hospital offers members comprehensive hospital benefits with no excess to pay for hospital admissions. With base extras to compliment the top hospital cover, you also receive coverage for basic services such as general dental, optical, ambulance and more.
What’s Included in Hospital Cover
|Assisted reproductive services||Yes|
|Back neck and spine||Yes|
|Bone, joint and muscle||Yes|
|Brain and nervous system||Yes|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)||Yes|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer||Yes|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)||Yes|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure||Yes|
|Ear, nose and throat||Yes|
|Eye (not cataracts)||Yes|
|Heart and vascular system||Yes|
|Hernia and appendix||Yes|
|Hospital psychiatric services||Yes|
|Implantation of hearing devices||Yes|
|Kidney and bladder||Yes|
|Lung and chest||Yes|
|Male reproductive system||Yes|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy||Yes|
|Pain management with device||Yes|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)||Yes|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon – limited benefits)||Yes|
|Pregnancy and birth||Yes|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets||Yes|
|Weight loss surgery||Yes|
What’s Included in Extras Cover
Unless otherwise stated, benefit limits apply per person per calendar year.
Please also note that this page does not include the full detail of all services covered, and that sublimits apply for some services. It is recommended that you either check your Online Member Services or contact us before your treatment to check exactly what you are covered for.
|Treatments||Example of Benefit||Annual Limit|
|General Dental||011 – Periodic oral examination – $32.00
114 – Scale & clean – $55.20
121 – Fluoride treatment – $19.20
(Excluded: Sunglasses, where no sight correction is needed)
|80% of charge||$150|
|Non PBS Pharmaceuticals (Excluded: contraceptives and items purchased over the counter)||Per eligible prescription – $30.00 (Paid after General PBS copayment has been paid)||$200|
|Chiropractic/Osteopathic||Chiro/Osteo Initial visit – $32.00
Chiro/Osteo Subsequent visit – $24.00
Chiropractic X-rays – $80.00
|Physiotherapy||Physiotherapy Initial visit – $40.00
Physiotherapy Subsequent visit – $29.60
Phoenix Health Fund covers all medically necessary transport from a State Emergency Ambulance Service. This also includes when an ambulance is called to attend to you, but you do not subsequently need to be taken to hospital. Coverage is not offered when it is not medically necessary for you to be transported by an ambulance.
Important Hospital Information
For hospital services to which Phoenix Health Fund provides coverage, Gold Top Hospital provides coverage for:
- Private and public hospital services nationwide (after the up-front excess has been paid) with access to an extensive range of quality services and approved programs in private hospitals which have an agreement with Phoenix Health Fund.
- Public or Private Hospital bed – shared or private room (if available)
- Same day patient fees
- Theatre fees
- Intensive care
- Labour ward
- In hospital pharmacy
- Prosthesis (Commonwealth Government approved)
- All other in-patient services where a Medicare benefit is payable (not listed as an exclusion in the hospital table above)
Additional costs you may incur are:
- The amount the doctor charges above the Medicare schedule fee or “Access Gap” cover amount
- some drugs, pharmacy items and non-PBS drugs for personal use or on discharge; and possibly
- a co-payment for prostheses devices above the minimum benefit.
- There are a small number of public hospitals that do not have agreements with us. In these cases a personal payment may apply.
If you are to be admitted into a public or private hospital as an in-patient for an excluded service on your policy, the fund will not pay a benefit.
If you are admitted to a hospital, you will not pay an up-front excess.
Medical Gap cover
Phoenix Health Fund, as a member of the Australian Health Service Alliance, has “Access Gap” arrangements with more than 15,000 doctors Australia-wide. These arrangements minimise or eliminate Members’ out-of-pocket expenses when our Members are treated as admitted hospital patients.
If your doctor participates in the “Access Gap” scheme, you will either have no out-of-pocket expenses to pay or will know exactly how much you will have to pay before treatment begins. Your doctor can bill Phoenix Health Fund direct, so in most cases you will not be required to lodge a claim with us, making it easier for you.
To check whether your doctor participates in “Access Gap”, use our Doctor Search facility, or ask your doctor.
Gold Top Hospital + Base Extras waiting periods
- 12 month waiting periods for pre-existing conditions
- 12 month waiting periods for assisted reproductive services
- 12 month waits for pregnancy and birth related services
- 2 month waiting periods for all other hospital items
- 2 month waits for General Dental claims
- 12 month waits Major Dental, Endodontic and Orthodontic claims
- 6 month waits for Optical claims
- Nil waiting periods for Emergency Ambulance subscription.
- 2 month waits for all other extras item claims
For the complete description of the Fund rules, relating this product, please refer to the General Information section on our website.
Please ensure you have read and retained the information relating to your policy of choice before applying for membership.