Cancer is the most common disease facing Australians today, and treatments such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy can take a toll on the day-to-day lives of those affected, even after treatment has finished.
That’s why we’ve teamed up with Valion Health to offer the Cancer Care Complete Program – to help you manage the side effects of treatment and maintain physical and mental wellness, so you can get back to the activities you enjoy sooner!
Provided by our partners at Valion Health, programs are designed for you personally and sessions are delivered by phone or video call and typically run for a 12-16 week period.
Here’s an overview of how a program typically works…
- Personal Support: You’ll be assigned an Oncology Nursing Care co-ordinator who will work with you on a personalised care plan, will monitor your side effects, link you in with services local to you and provide you with education specific to your needs.
- Exercise as Medicine: As recommended by the Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (COSA), exercise during and after treatment is safe and proven to increase your strength and endurance, while improving your energy levels. As such, you’ll have access to Exercise Physiology video call sessions, where an exercise professional will work with you to develop an individualised program.
- Your Nutrition Questions Answered: An optimal diet is crucial for supporting your immune system and boosting energy during and after treatment. Valion’s experienced, oncology focused dietitians will have video-call sessions with you to work to overcome common nutritional problems such as decreased appetite, nausea and changes in taste.
- Mental Health Support: You’ll have video-call sessions with a psychologist to provide you with practical tools and strategies to assist your recovery and provide you with a bit of extra support – because a cancer diagnosis takes its toll on all aspects of life.
- Access to the Valion Health App: A place to upload your health data, contact your health team, track your progress and access a range of tailored educational resources.
Plus, as a welcome to the program you’ll be sent a personalised care pack, or access to online small group yoga classes with one of our yoga team.
During the program you’ll have an expert care team support you and to improve your fatigue and energy levels and develop your muscle strength and fitness levels. You’ll learn the skills to boost your mood, and get a better night’s sleep. The program will also be tailored to cover any other issues you want to focus on, such as loss of appetite, mobility, supporting carers or advice on managing side effects such as neuropathy.
Our Cancer Care Complete Program is available at no extra cost to Phoenix Health members who hold hospital cover, have served their 2 month hospital waiting periods and who have received a cancer diagnosis and/or are undergoing treatment for cancer.
Want more information about Phoenix Health Management Programs? Check them all out here.
Going to hospital? This is what we know and where we can really help you out. As soon as you find out you’ll need a hospital admission contact us so you can be confident in what to expect.
We’ll talk you through minimising doctor’s fees and any other out-of-pocket costs as well as check your cover and discuss any pre or post hospital support programs that we may have available for you.
Let us help you, so you can focus on what’s important; we’re here for you.