Winter months call for recipes that warm our stomachs and our souls. But it’s important to look for nutritional options that nourish our bodies to help stave off those winter bugs, like this Cauliflower and Turmeric Soup thanks to Blackmores.
This soup is quick enough for a week night and packed with ingredients that support our immune systems including superfood turmeric, Vitamin C and antioxidants.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil (if vegan)
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced (seeds optional)
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 whole head of cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 400ml good quality full-fat coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to season
- A generous handful of roughly torn fresh coriander, to garnish
- In a large lidded sauté pan or soup pot, heat the ghee or oil over a medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, ginger, chilli, onion and spices to the pan to cook for around 10 minutes, until the mixture is soft and fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower florets and cook for another 5 minutes, until the cauliflower is golden from the spices and has started to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, stock and coconut milk to the pot, season well with salt and pepper, then turn the heat up and bring the soup to the boil. Once boiling, place the lid on, turn the stove down to a low heat and leave the soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if you need. Remove from the heat and serve with fresh coriander and pepper.
Time saving tip: Make in advance and freeze in individual serving sizes so you’ve always got something nutritious on hand in a pinch.